Sunday, May 23, 2010

Barcelona, Spain

Barcelona so far has been my favorite city that I've been to in Europe (and I'm writing this while in Florence, so I've seen a bit at this point). It has everything - great nightlife, beautiful beaches, huge parks, good sports teams, and tons of stuff to do. I could definitely see my self spending a few weeks there if I had time, or even living there for a little bit.

Our first night in Barcelona was a bit stressful though. As many of you probably know, I'm not really one to plan ahead, so most of this trip (at least in Europe, not as much in S. America) I usually just show in up in a city, take the subway into the center and walk around until I find a place to stay. This time, however, that plan failed pretty badly. Our train go in around 9pm, so by the time we got organized and made it into the city it was nearing 10pm. It just so happened that the weekend we got there coincided with a french holiday, so there were THOUSANDS of french people there. We tried going to literally 15 hostels and hotels (huge ones too, with 200+ beds) that were all completely sold out because of the french holiday. We finally found one around midnight with exactly two beds left (but only for one night) and took it so that we could just find something in the morning. Eventually everything worked out, but it would have sucked to have to sleep out in the streets for a night.

Here are a few pictures from around the city:













We saw a Flamenco show, which was a bit pricy but pretty cool.





The weekend we got there, Barcelona was playing there final game of the season, which if they won would mean that they would take first place and win the Spanish League. They prevailed, which made for some crazy parties and celebrations that night. Unfortunately I had hurt my back (sciatica) and was on some medications which didn't allow me to drink alcohol, but it was still really fun. There was music and dancing and firecrackers everywhere, and the whole city was completely alive.











Bo also managed to snag two movies with her phone's camera.





I highly recommend Barcelona if you have the chance.

1 comment:

  1. All I could think of when watching Bo's video was "Your not in Kansas anaymore".
    This is great Simon. I love following your travels. When your mother did this (can you believe it) there was no such thing as the Internet!

    ReplyDelete